Initial Treatment for concussion includes:
- Constant monitoring of the athlete post-injury, especially within the first 24 to 72 hours.
- Rest from work, school, normal social activities and sport so as to allow sufficient time for a full recovery.
- Preventing a second impact or injury by avoiding any activities that may jerk or impact the head.
- Avoiding certain medications, alcohol and drugs.
The most effective way of treating concussion is to manage the injury properly as soon as it occurs.
If an athlete’s condition quickly deteriorates, immediate hospital transfer is required.
- Constant monitoring for first 24 – 72 hours
- Total cognitive rest for 48 hours
- Rest from
- Avoiding second impacts to the head in all activities
- Avoiding certain medications